Give Porch Pirates the Boot
2021-11-29 13:45 PST
File # 2021-32078
With Black Friday, Cyber Monday and the Holiday shopping season in full swing, so too comes the season of the opportunistic
Porch Pirate; someone who steals your newly delivered, unattended packages from outside your residence.
As home delivery increases, so does the need for the public to be vigilant against package theft. As more consumers look to make their purchases online, more thieves will target doorsteps and mailboxes.
Making purchases online has become the new normal, falling victim to theft should not be, says Corporal Paige Armstrong, Media Relations Officer with the Coquitlam RCMP.
We want to make sure that your loot gets into your hands and not those of a
Here are a few tips:
- Track the package
- Ask a neighbour to keep an eye out
- Request that a signature be required
- Send your packages to your workplace
- Install security cameras, ex. door bell cameras
- Sign up for online accounts with Canada post, or third party locations that can accept packages on your behalf
- Report stolen packages to police.
If you see suspicious activity in your neighbourhood, or are a victim of theft, please call the Coquitlam RCMP non-emergency number at 604-945-1550.
Cpl. Paige KuzMedia Relations Officer
coquitlam.rcmp-grc.gc.ca (English only)
- Date modified: